About a month ago, I bought a cassette player (new from the store). I did this for a number of reasons.
1. So that I could listen to books while dawdling.
2. Because our car doesn't have a tape player.
3. Because our library has LOADS of books on cassette for adults and also children...thus meaning my little pirate could listen to more books being read to him while looking at the book during our 30 minute round trip drives for every time we go into town...which lately has been almost daily (the library has only a few CDs for children).
4. The cassette player came with a microphone, and I could then record family and friends reading the little pirate's favorite stories so that he could listen to them any time he wanted.
5. It came with an adapter to plug into an outlet...so I didn't have to spend money on batteries (and our car has an adapter for the cigarette lighter so we can plug things in).
Well...the silly thing broke 30 pages before the end of the first book I was listening to on it. Grr!
Oh well...I found the book at a book store and finished the end of the book in about 10 minutes while sipping on an iced chai. And I returned the cassette player and got a new bra and underwear in it's place...and still have money left over. Crazy! (My husband laughed at me...and I don't blame him...I find it kind of funny myself.)
My dad saved the tape and it's been returned to the library.