Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Beaded, Knitted Bangle Tutorial

This is my attempt at my first tutorial. Please feel free to leave feedback as to what I'm missing or how I should do things differently.
Materials: (to fit a child)
7" vinyl tubing with 3/4"-diameter
2.5" vinyl tubing with 1/2"-diameter
thin, sock yarn in color of your choice
US size 2 double-pointed knitting needles
small beads of your choice (with holes just the right size to string onto the yarn)

Directions:
1. String the required number of beads onto the yarn. If you're unsure...then just string a lot of them! (At this point I am always confused if I should put the text before or after the picture it goes with...)
2. CO 48 stitches, then knit in the round with a K2, P2 pattern for 5 rows. On the 6th row, pull up a bead in between each purl stitch (12) beads. Knit 2 more rows. On the 8th row, purl the entire row and pull up a bead in between each "knit" stitch." Knit 2 more rows. Repeat the 6th row. Then knit 5 more rows. Then cast off.
3. Cut your vinyl tubing.
4. Insert the smaller-in-diameter vinyl tubing into both ends of the wider-in-diameter vinyl tubing to form a circle.
5. Insert the vinyl tubing form inside the knitted piece.
6. Using the loose ends of yarn from the start and finish of the knitted piece, sew together the cast on and cast off edges around the vinyl tubing. After knitting all the way around, bind the loose ends and hide inside the bracelet (trim if needed).
7. A fun piece of jewelry to add to your child's dress-up collection! Or buy one here.

4 comments:

  1. YOU ARE CRAFTY...I like it even before when it looked like a sweat band.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so cute! how in the world did you figure that out! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com Grab my featured button.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is super cute! I just came by from Someday Crafts.

    ReplyDelete